Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Plant of the day is: Lychnis fulgens or catchfly

Plant of the day is: Lychnis fulgens or catchfly

Photo Credit: Tatyana Shulkina 

I had it in my head that there would plenty of pictures of this plant to choose from online and I was sadly mistaken.  There really is a big need for more creative commons available plant photography.

That being said, this little link right here is more or less find-able if you know where to look so I see no reason I can't share.  http://livingcollections.org/mobot/Planting/1166394?tab=images There are a few others amazing pictures the world hasn't seen out there and of course let me Google that for you:  Google Images of Lychnis fulgens

Taxonomy, etc:  Another member of the Caryophyllaceae or pink family, Lychnis is a relatively small genus with only about 15 accepted species according to http://www.theplantlist.org/, my go to source for all things taxonomy.  A popular horticultural plant Lychnis coronaria (that I learned in school) is now Silene coronaria.  Those botanists are always keeping us on our toes and forcing website and textbook updates.  The difference between the two genera?  Lychnis members have 5 styles where Silene have 3, and seed capsules have 5 teeth compared to 6 in Silene.  Stems are also often sticky.  Catchfly...get it?

Description/Range:  A native perennial of Siberia, Manchuria, Korea, and Japan.  It is a hardy form zones 4-8 here in US and reaches a spread of about 1-2 feet (I can verify).  Flowers are an orangish-red?  I'm awful with that, but I love the color.  I'm a sucker for yellows, oranges, and reds.  Perhaps I'm drawn to the color of brimstone?  Flowers occur in few flowered cymes (see below) and the petals are two-lobed. Leaves are sessile (no petiole) and are ovate/lanceolate.  Here in Saint Louis, they flower early to mid summer and set seed around August.  As far as I know, seedlings are not common.  I'm not sure if the cold winter temps thwart germination or some other environmental contribution.

Culture:  Where I've observed it growing it grows in a dappled shade and more full midday sun.  A lot of information suggests that it likes very well drained soils and sunny locations but I hear tell of a planting that died under those conditions.  Observed site was a fairly moist rich soil in a fairly shady spot.  Still a good bunch of flowers considering the spot I thought.  I would venture that it prefers more of a moist woodland soil than some would give it credit for.  I may get the chance to tinker with that, I'll add notes if I find anything interesting.

Fun fact:  How do you say it?  Depends.  Listen here: http://www.memidex.com/lychnis+flower#audio 
Also, Lychnis comes from the Greek lychnos or lamp in reference to their bright flowers.

The prairie dropseed is running rampant right now, one of my favorite smells.  Apparently you love it or hate it.  JLee.

No comments:

Post a Comment